Security / infrastructure engineer @ Cossack Labs
Kyiv. Full time. Remote now, office & flexible remote later.
Cossack Labs is looking for a system administrator / SRE engineer with strong interest in security, to extend our core ops team and assist in development processes, infrastructure design and deployment, maintenance and repair.
We are a data security solutions company, developing software products (open-source and proprietary), as well as providing custom bespoke solutions to innovative development teams around the world. Our mission is to make strong security methodologies and approaches convenient within modern infrastructures and, as the software is eating the world, help it eat the world responsibly, without leaking customer’s data.
Among our customers are power grid operators, payment processors, legal companies, million-user customer applications. We cater to young ambitious startups and well-established enterprises, who use our software and solutions as core part of their security arsenal.
Our mission would be impossible without brilliant engineering force, and we’re looking to grow it.
- Work as part of our infrastructure operations team, designing, implementing, deploying and maintaining client deployments and internal tooling.
- Improve already working internal services and client deployments, assess and plan changes in wide variety of technological environments.
- Automate everything that can be automated, write code that automate everything, test it, build internal tools, document processes, assess solutions.
- Learn a lot of security concerns regarding infrastructure, and become proficient in building modern secure infrastructures.
- Collaborate with the entire company, surrounded by experienced software engineers, security engineers, cryptographers.
- Manage your work by setting your own goals, prioritizing and executing them, and taking ownership of tasks and projects.
We would expect you to have:
- Strong knowledge of modern *nix operating system internals, experience in building and administrating solutions based on them.
- Good understanding how Internet works. We won't ask you to quote RFCs by heart, but we expect you to understand how things work well enough to solve design problems and design pros and cons of various network technologies in-depth.
- Good understanding of traditional virtualisation and containers, hands-on experience.
- Hands-on experience with at least one open-source SQL database - MySQL, PostgreSQL, as well as understanding core fundamentals behind RDBMS, KVs, NoSQL databases.
- Knowledge of Bash and Ruby/Python in regard to automation scripting. Willing to read source code in other languages and extend software development skills to some extent.
- Understanding how configuration automation / IaaC works on various levels, understanding how to design infrastructures based on them.
- Wide technical background and desire to learn as you go - a lot. And unlearn things that don't work anymore.
- Results-oriented mindset.
Please note that you can be a perfect fit even if not everything we’ve outlined above applies to you. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask – everyone is unique.
Other skills which might impact compensation, area of work and level of fun:
- Knowledge and skills in cybersecurity (any - we will vastly extend your skills anyway, but having something to start with would help).
- Fluency with ELK, logging and event tracing.
- Understanding of modern metrics-based monitoring and alerting, experience with Prometheus and Grafana.
- Hands-on experience with any of the following: Chef, Ansible, Puppet, SaltStack.
- Friendly and experienced team: smart people to learn from, great people to build with. Each of us is unique, we value and support each other.
- Trust: schedule, reporting, bureaucracy is kept at reasonable minimum. We hire smart people and trust them to do the right thing. When things go wrong, we help rather than punish.
- Shared decision making: this business is driven by engineering excellence, so engineers are important part of tactical and strategical business decisions.
- Friendly to humans: not just a formal vacation and sick leave quota. Feel like your mental or physical wellbeing needs care? Take some time off. Feel like working a few days from home? Sure. As long as you're in line, we are here to support you when you're not.
- Team that facilitates internal learning and growth all the time.
- Interesting technologies to work with — sometimes, even unique ones (we design applied cryptography schemes and techniques and novel ways to use them).
- Ability to grow into one of the fastest growing industry sectors (computer security) with a team of experienced professionals.
- Management attention to help you improve upon your personal goals (through regular 1:1s and mentoring).
- Competitive compensation with flexible bonus scheme.
- You choose your benefits package — pack of goodies or straight cash.
- Conferences, books, courses — we encourage learning and sharing with the community. Our team members share a lot in talks, workshops and blog posts.
Not sure but considering? Talk to us.
If you see yourself fit but a few things are off — don’t hesitate to talk anyway. It might be that your unique combination of skills and knowledge would be perfectly fitting for our environment, but we both just don’t know it yet.
How to apply.
As a bare minimum, we will need your CV to start the conversation. A supporting letter explaining what makes you tick as an engineer, what's your story, what you have done in the past and what kind of work you find interesting would help, but is not necessary. If there is public code you authored (or co-authored) you're specially proud of, links would be much appreciated. But a simple CV would suffice as well.
Looking for more details? Check out our recent case study:
Critical infrastructure: protecting telemetry data of power grids
Case-study: protecting data signals transmitted over the air between power distribution stations and central dispatch system.